Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

BMW Motorcycle Decision

Santa is going to leave me the keys to another motorcycle this Christmas but he needs you help in deciding what to give me.

There are at least two issues to consider when making this decision:
One, I already have a 1800 Gold Wing. The Gold Wing is about as comfortable as it gets. You can ride in the rain and snow without feeling the rain. The seat is comfortable and there is ample room to stretch your legs for the long trip. Even though it is a touring bike, I enjoy riding it around town because I am easily seen by drivers and do not get blown around by the wind and freight trucks.

Two, the purpose of having a second bike in St George is 1) I don't have to drive the Gold Wind down there every time I want to ride in the sun, 2) I want a second bike so that I can go on short tours with friends such as my father-in-law Clayton, my son Kelly, neighbor Brent Harris, and 3) I want something to enjoy riding around town.

With that said here are the four candidates. Their cost difference is of no great concern to me so don't let that trip you up. Given what you know about me or yourself, leave a comment on what you think I should purchase. You should see a poll to the right of this blog in which to leave your answer.

1. 1200RT

For years, serious riders who want both performance and long-distance touring abilities have chosen the BMW RT. And the latest version, the R 1200 RT, is no different. The new RT boasts optional Electronic Suspension Adjustment, giving you push-button fine-tuning for a wide range of roads, loads and moods. Cavernous storage, supreme ergonomics and optional accoutrements like heated grips, heated seats, a premium sound system and cruise control make the R 1200 RT so comfy, so easy to ride, that when you get away, you'll feel like you're getting away with something. The R 1200 RT is a fully outfitted touring bike with royal ergonomics, on-the-fly adjustable suspension and a long list of comfort features, plus it's a downright exciting performance motorcycle. Its 110 horsepower low-center-of-gravity Boxer engine pulls smoothly and pops thrillingly, and its advanced chassis creates nimble handling usually reserved for short rides and sore shoulders. Ride as far as you want and get there with all the performance you crave with the R 1200 RT.

2. 1500LT

Peak performance and absolute amenities mile after mile after mile. Essentially, a Gold Wing on steroids with heated hand grips, heated seats, adjustable suspension, navigation system and advanced audio system.


3. 1200GS

Think off-road or riding to the North Pole and then back down the coast to South America. This bike can do it all, pavement, dirt and ruts. Of course, if you tip it over you may have a difficult time getting it back up. And besides who is really going to ride those trips? Probably not me, t but then it might be fun to be able to explore off pavement in Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico.

R 1200 GS Adventure is not a motorcycle that suits everyone. For some it will just be physically oversized and awkward to live with. But for its size and weight fully tanked up it handles really well. If you want a 450 mile range for mammoth touring duties there is nothing else on the market. For me the biggest sales arguments would be the titanic fuel capacity and the rugged hard macho looks. Just a shame the test ended with destroying the indestructible…


4. R1200C

In the 1997 James Bond film Tomorrow Never Dies, Michelle Yeoh, in her role as Chinese spy Wai Lin, rode the R1200C in the scene where she and 007 run from Elliot Carver's henchmen, who are chasing them in a helicopter.

Few would expect BMW to compromise ride quality for styling purposes, and they certainly haven't done so with the 1200C. Comfort is excellent, even though our ride took place in 100 degree temperatures. A clever addition to both style and comfort is the passenger seat, which folds up to be used as a driver backrest that has a range of three different angles, and can be adjusted while you're riding. More Action Photos Ground clearance is far greater than the current crop of boulevard cruisers, allowing respectable lean angles when the road turns twisty.

Power is uninspiring however, as peak horsepower has been traded for low-end torque to fit the bike's cruising role. Smaller exhaust and intake valves, as well as an altered intake tract combine with an increased bore and stroke to provide a flat, torquey power spread.

This model was discontinued in 2004 which may make it difficult for on-going maintenance.

10 comments:

Kris said...

This is a no-brainer, even for the uninformed. The LT--umm you already have a goldwing, so no. The GS--too hardcore since you'll be just cruising in st George. The C--too hip and not powerful enough for cruising in tandem with the goldwing. That leaves just the RT--Christmas is soon, better hurry up.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kris, what do you mean not hip. Have you observed the sexy new bald look. The 1200C is the one for Ken. Watch out James! From sister Robin

Kari said...

I vote for the 1500LT because it's like the goldwing, and because it looks comfortable enough you might be able to get mom to ride on it with you sometimes

Unknown said...

Go Cool, there's enough power with the C.

Totally different from that Gold Wing Land Barge!

Chris

Kelly Hendricks said...

I agree that the C is the coolest, but I think the LT is more fitting for the riding you are going to do.

K said...

Okay - this post is kind of like Gary Larson's expose of How English Sounds to Dogs: blah, blah, blah - Christmas - blah, blah, blah. Cool. I recognized that word, too. And hip. Because I have a couple of those. And I never give advice to people who are about to spend money I'd rather have them give to me. As a present. A tax free present. But then, I have no wheels - and I'm not fast.

Kathy said...

Love Kristen's comment. Very clever. I think the LT is the one also because you never know I MAY decide to go with him sometime. Like to the store and back or something.

Anonymous said...

Hey my vote is for the Gs I Have the klr 650 which is much less of a bike , however I love that I can ride over the top of a mountain on the dirt then hop on the freeway and come home. It is nice to be able to explore that little dirt road that takes off from the highway. so I say get the GS and invite me to come along . Good luck you really can,t make a bad choice .. Darrin

Unknown said...

I have another offering, the K1600GTL. Nice review at cycle World.com

looks like power, toys and fun all rolled into one!

Anonymous said...

The GS is the obvious choice, given that you already have a goldwing, you need to change it up a bit and get off the slab once in a while where you can really see the sights, and it's plenty capable of riding along with the "land barge" on short tours. Besides the fact that I really want to take a GS for a spin and this just might be my chance. All the best! Brent

Post a Comment

 

Blogger