Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Strange Days Indeed



Nobody told me there'd be days like these
Nobody told me there'd be days like these
Nobody told me there'd be days like these
Strange days indeed
most peculiar
Mama.
(John Lennon)

I suppose if I were to best describe this past week would be “strange days indeed”. Beginning the Friday of last week I suffered a significant decline in health. Being new to this cancer stuff I don’t know how to interpret physical changes. By Saturday I was convinced that I wouldn’t make it to Christmas and didn’t want to make it if it meant suffering as I was. I admit that I cried out of despair and pain and discomfort. But today is Thursday and I’m feeling much better. I passed the test or at least survived it.

I met with my oncologist Doctor on Monday. This man is an amazing care taker. He calls me in the evening to check up on how it’s going. What Doctor does that? Dr. Nathan Rich. Dr. Rich explained that my discomfort was mostly the effect of brain radiation and would continue for another week or two and then get better. They gave me medication for my heartburn and I am improving.

On Tuesday Kathy and I attended a cancer support group in Salt Lake. It is my belief that many cancer patients in the Salt Lake area have a good support group in place through their spouses and families and consequently don’t attend these support groups. I fall into this category but enjoyed meeting with others in the support group. However, there are those who must face cancer alone.

I met a man named Taylor who has had a growth the size of a tennis ball on his back for two years. He had disinclined medical help because he feared he lacked financial resources to pay. The social worker explained to him that was eligible for state financial aid. IHC would not turn him away although his level of support may not be at the same level that I enjoy.

Cancer is very expensive. I don’t know what radiation treatment costs but I imagine it is substantive. I am now taking a targeted drug called Traceva. This wonder drug is supposed to add a year to my life expectancy but costs $100 a pill and I’m supposed to take it daily until it quits working. That’s $36,500 for the next year. Fortunately, we have learned that United Healthcare will cover the expense at 100%. My insurance coverage is expensive as I elected to purchase a premium policy some years ago and I expect that I have prepaid some of this medication cost already, but it is nice not to worry about the additional cost of medication at this time.

1 comments:

K said...

This has opened a whole mess of new questions about The Way Things Are, hasn't it, this cancer? Hang in there. If the Dr. says it will get better, it will.

Post a Comment

 

Blogger