Pages

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Cost of Pride

Roger Miller wrote a little song about pride and the cost of pride between a husband and wife.

Two broken hearts lonely looking like
houses where nobody lives.
Two people each having so much pride
inside
Neither side forgives.

The angry words spoken in haste,
Such a waste of two lives,
It's my belief,
Pride is the chief cause and the decline
in the number of husbands and wives.

Although I agree with Roger that pride is the chief cause and the decline in the number of husbands and wives, I am also concerned about my family members who refuse to speak or visit each other.

Years ago I was a Scoutmaster in our Colorado Ward. Although it can be fun, scouting is in many ways a thankless job. I had just returned from a winter campout late Saturday evening. I had taken the boys cross-country skiing and camping. LDS scout troops do not camp over Sunday so our trips tend to be short leaving Friday afternoon and returning the following Saturday evening.

I was at the Church waiting for parents to pick up their boys. Although I was also tired and cold, I had to wait until all the boys were picked up before I could return home myself. One father was very irate because he felt that I returned too late interrupting his Saturday night date. His son was expected to babysit and I had gotten him back too late. I, in turn, became defensive and angry because of his audacity to complain again me. We didn’t come to fist blows but we did engage in a bit of heated shouting.

A few years later I had moved to another area of the city and was serving as the High Priest’s Group Leader in our Ward. Essentially, my role was to look after the well being of the older men. We taught lessons on Sunday and visited the quorum members during the week. I had two assistants as well as members to teach lessons and help with the visits. During this time my prior friend also moved into the Ward. He was having marital problems, his wife had temporarily moved out, and he was very lonely. As part of my Church role I visited him and even called him to be one of my assistants. We worked together for a year or more and developed a good friendship. I am happy to say that his wife did return and the last I heard they were enjoying a happy marriage.

The point is that life is too short and relationships too dear to let them waste through pride. It’s time to let it go and get back together. Let’s not have to wait for another funeral before we talk to each other again.

C'mon people now,
Smile on your brother
Ev'rybody get together
Try and love one another right now
Right now
Right now!
(Get Together, The Youngbloods)

3 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blogger