Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hair Cut













I want to thank my friend who has also had cancer for sharing with me the following story:
There once was a woman who woke up one morning, looked in the mirror,
and noticed she had only three hairs on her head.

"Well," she said, "I think I'll braid my hair today." So she did and
she had a wonderful day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and saw that she had
only two hairs on her head.

"H-m-m." said said, "I think I'll part my hair down the middle today."
So she did and she had a grand day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that she
had only one hair on her head.

"Well, " she said, "Today I'm going to wear my hair in a
pony tail."

So she did and she had a fun, fun day.

The next day she woke up, looked in the mirror and noticed that
there wasn't a single hair on her head.

"YEAH !!" she exclaimed, "Hooray I don't have to fix my hair today !!"

Attitude is everything.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Live Simply
Love generously
Care deeply
Speak kindly....
Leave the Rest to God

Thanks Michelle!
I started radiation therapy last week which will continue for another two weeks. As I mentioned, it is noninvasive and painless, however, beginning sometime this week I will begin losing my hair. Like the woman in the above joke I’ve decided to be proactive and meet it head-on (pardon the pun). True, this isn’t that cool bald look yet. I’m hoping that I can keep some of it on top but if not then next week I’ll apply the razor blade. I’ve thought of shaving it completely off and applying lime green floresent paint for Halloween as long as it doesn’t frighten the grandchildren too much.

I expect this week to be somewhat quiet. On Friday I did have a CT scan to review the growth of my lung tumors. We are waiting to complete the brain radiation until we begin treating these primary cancer tumors with medication. I eerie thing is that I think that I can feel them growing, it hurts a bit and is disconcerting. If the tumors are growing too fast we will have to begin zapping them this week with radiation also. The argument thus far against radiation is that it kills some healthy lung tissue along with the cancer cells. So it is better to wait for the medication if possible.

Sometime after Thanksgiving and the beginning-of-the year, we plan on making a trip to Washington to see the family. We hope to make the rounds and spend some time with all of you. I look forward to seeing you.

Here are some pictures of the some of the grandkids and I getting our haircuts.














(Kenneth Charles (age 4)













Parker Bryan (age 6)













And when I die, and when I'm gone
there'll be, one child born
in this world
to carry on, to carry on

Laura Nyro (she wrote this song that was done by Blood, Sweat and Tears)
October 18, 1947 – April 8, 1997

3 comments:

K said...

Well said, Ken. And well done. Let us know what you learn from the scans.

Rich said...

Ken, I have to say this does not constitute a hair cut....you need to do what you did and then get your Fusion 5 blade out and finish it off. Then, you could qualify for an Army-style Iraq haircut!!

Ken Hendricks said...

Rich, the second phase will be coming in another week or two depending upon how much falls out. I'm hoping to keep it at a civilian level.

Post a Comment

 

Blogger