Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Ward Fast

Today our Ward held a fast for our family.

Again, for non LDS people, a LDS Ward is equivalent to a Congregation. Where we live Wards are found every few city blocks. Our Ward has 64 families with probably 320 members. We fast each month where we go without food for two meals followed by a testimony meeting where we attempt to build each other's faith. In addition to fasting we also donate the cost of those meals to the Ward where they are used to provide relief to those needing short-term financial support. Many members donate far more than the cost of the meals although there are no monetary requirements.

I thought that the meeting might be a bit uncomfortable because I don't enjoy being in the spotlight. However, the meeting was wonderful. Following our 3 hour block meetings we met as a Ward in the chapel. The Bishop opened the meeting explaining to the members the purpose of fast. One of our Home Teachers offered a prayer. It was heartfelt and sincere.

A Home Teacher is a man who is assigned to visit our family each month and to look after our welfare. We have two wonderful Home Teachers who are very interested and have great love for us. It's great to be LDS!

Generally, I am feeling much better excepting for night sweats. I sweat so much that I have to change my undergarments each night and then I crawl back into a wet bed. The smell makes me nauseous so I go downstairs for a few hours and catch up on sports center. We have three bedrooms up stairs and I can sleep in any of them. I think starting tonight when I get up I'll just change to another bed. It makes a bit of work for Kathy to wash and change the sheets each day but I suppose that this might be a permanent condition.

Thanks to all of you who have sent me emails and made phone calls. It is much appreciated. But don't forget about Eric Jackson and Andy Young in the mission field and Richard Jackson who is assigned to Baghdad.

8 comments:

Kari said...

It was a really nice meeting, I'm glad we were able to be there. It's so humbling and sweet to know that there are so many people that care about our family

Anonymous said...

It is great that you are writing in your blog. We always enjoy your thoughts and opinions.
We are happy that you are pursuing your PHD.
You are an inspiration to us.
Love, Clayton and Betty

Anonymous said...

What a neat thing to meet afterward and have a prayer. I've never heard of that. Our whole family fasted for you as well. We hope you continue to get better. A bummer about night sweats, but I can relate. Have a good day!
Love, Lorna

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see you blogging again, we fasted too in Normandy. Hope you are feeling better, thanks for remembering Rich too- he's good, just bored! Becky

Jim Urban said...

Ken,

Maybe if your feeling up to it...would love for you to play at our next party in Governors Ranch for my friends, neighbors and clients? Maybe you could get the old band members together, Laura Butler etc. It's a thought I just had and would love for you to think about it.

My prayers are with you!

Jim Urban

Jeff and Trina said...

We fasted for you, too, and our prayers are with you constantly.

Anonymous said...

been reading your blog, it's awsome that you have faith and can accept whats happening. I find it very unfair and I am mad. You don't deserve this. I pray GOD will cure you, and I will be a better brother

K said...

I have deep faith in the power of a ward fast. I've seen them work miracles, frankly. And I agree - it's GREAT to be LDS>

Post a Comment

 

Blogger