Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Radiation Treatment and Other Endulgences

Today, I had my second radiation treatment. I'll have 14 of these aimed to eradicate any cancer cells in my brain. The way this is done is that you lay flat on a bench with you feet tied together and your head screwed down. They don't bore holes into your head but have previously made a special mask which is placed over your head and then bolted down.















The therapy is short and painless. There is a white flash on the right side followed by a blue horizontal energy bar followed by some noises as the internal chipmunks wake up and bang against the drums. The process is repeated on the left side and then you are done.

I didn't notice any side effects. The right side flash did bother my eye yesterday but not today. Also, I went camping last weekend with Parker and KC and developed a cough on top of the cough I already have from the cancer. Parker and KC lasted until about 9:30 before they went into the house. I guess the cowboy room has more appeal than the tent. I stayed outdoors until 2:30 am enjoying the night air and crickets. But despite three air mattresses I couldn't get comfortable and also surrendered to a soft and warm bed.

I guess the worst side effect is the long term loss of cognitive powers. Just think how many beers I could have drunk and gotten the same effect!

I tend to cough a lot now especially when I am lying down. I held the cough as long as I could while I was having the therapy but finally couldn't suppress it and had a coughing fit during the treatment. Of course, you can't move your head too much, which is good. Imagine if you jerked your head and took a dose in your eye or ear. Say deaf and blind. As soon as I began coughing the technicans cut the treatment short.

Aside for that, all is going well. Tonight I look forward to watching 'The Middle' and 'Modern Family' and taking it easy. Also I'm indulging myself in two weaknesses besides Ben and Jerry's ice cream.

First, I have a love for books, especially teen books such as; The Chronicals of Narnia, The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, Cirque Du Freak, Hatchett, and My Side of the Mountain. For many years I have mostly read history and professional books but hey, life is for living.

I have recently read the 12 books in the Darren Shan series (Cirque Du Freak). I got a Amazon Kindle for Christmas last year. The cool thing about it is that you can select and purchase a book just about anywhere anytime. I started reading the Darren Shan book and every other day, zing,
I would have to buy another book . I also read the 4 Brian Hatchett books, and 3 books of "My Side of the Mountain". They are short and allow your soul to roam.

At night I am re-reading 'Magic Mountain' by Thomas Mann which is definitely not a kids book and should only be ventured by the brave and enduring reader. If you look on Amazon you will find gushing reviews, however, before I recommend this to everyone beware that not everyone has the same view:
"At the risk of being labelled a Philistine, I declare that this book is one of the most insufferably boring tomes that has ever made it onto my bedside table. I admit that I only struggled my way through the first 170 pages, but that was enough to convince me that I should not waste any more minutes of my precious life wading through any more of this drivel.

I know, I have also been chastised for criticising modern art in the same way. Tracey Emin's "Unmade Bed" and Thomas Mann's "The Magic Mountain" will just have to live in the pile of junk that I fail to understand.

I realise that I am in the minority, as most reviewers and professors of literature believe this to be a masterpiece, and probably the best book to come out of Germany in the twentieth century. Then again, Hans Christian Anderson's boy who recognised the nakedness of his Emperor as those around him admired the splendour and wonderful colours of their leader's new clothes, was also in the minority. "

I am reading 'Prayer' by Philip Yancey. Philip Yancey was for many years an editor for Christianity Today and wrote articles for Reader's Digest, The Saturday Evening Post, Publishers Weekly, Chicago Tribune Magazine, Eternity, Moody Monthly, and National Wildlife, among others. He is not LDS but his works appeal to all denominations equally. I know some people will object to reading authors from outside of their immediate religous affiliation. That is nonsense. No one has a monopoly on religous thought and there are many good, educated, and insightful authors who write for the intent on helping us lay people better understand the workings of God.

I have read many of his works but perhaps his most thought provoking book is 'The Jesus I Never Knew'. I heartily endorse this book to all of my family - those who attend a church and those who do not.

Also, I am purchasing a bit of music. Actually, I am always purchasing and enjoying music. I suppose that we all have our vices. I love all kinds of music, at least what I call music, and am enjoying the great work produced during the last 50 years. Actually, I don't think there has been much good stuff done since the mid '80s, but that is my opinion. I do like John Meyer and Maroon Five. In the last few month I have purchased:

'Face the Music' by ELO,
'Foot Loose & Fancy Free' by Rod Stewart,
'Every Picture Tells a Story' by Rod Stewart,
'The Very Best of War' by War,
'Why Can't We Be Friends', by War,
'The World Is a Ghetto', by War,
'From Donny...With Love', by Donny Osmond (I have a weak spot for soft sounds),
'Love Songs of the '70s', by Donny Osmond,
'Hurdy Gurdy Man' by Donovan,
'A Day at the Races' by Queen
'A Night at the Opera' by Queen,
'The Very Best of the Sytlistics',
'Houses of the Holy' by Led Zeppelin,
'Raising Sand' by Robert Plant & Alison Krauss,
'The Best of Earth, Wind and Fire'

Today I bought new album by Elton John and Leon Russell. You can probably skip it.

I hope that when I die someone will put an iPod in my coffin.

4 comments:

K said...

Are you kidding? Somebody give up their iPod to somebody now busy playing jazz support for the heavenly choirs? I don't want that treatment; the mask would have me hysterical. You don't seem to have lost much cognitive ability, except in the matter of Led Zep, Rod Stewart and Queen.

Much love,

K (Guy says hi!)

James and Roberta Eleazer said...

I also love music and remember many days of us listening to Buck Owens, Tijuana Brass, Johnny Cash. Maybe this is where our love for music came from. I'd like share a few of my favorites that I have on my itunes. I would be difficult for me to get through a day without music. These are ones I am sure you don't have.

Wherever you are - ยเ๊เ๐๗๓๊ ัโ๒๎๑๋เโ ยํ๎๗ณ - Jazz
You're Gonna Miss This - Trace Adkins - Country
You'll Never Get Away From Me - Tony Bennett Built to Last - Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
San Marco-Rondo Veneziano-The Genius of Venice Love Gone to Waste - Robert Cray
Don't Cry Baby - Queen Latifah
You Will - Patty Loveless
One Flight Down-Norah Jones
Lonestar - Norah Jones
I Shall Be Released - Nina Simone - Jazz
Busted - Natalie Cole
Someday Baby - Bob Dylan
These Boots Are Made For Walkin - Nancy Sinatra
Another Summer- Michael Buble
Quando, Quando, Quando- -Michael Buble
Lover Please-Melissa Etheridge
Marcia Ball-Blues
Lonesome Road-Madeleine Peyroux-Jazz
The Lynns
All Through Cryin'-James Hunter-R&B
I'll Walk Away-James Hunter
Lie No Better- Etta James-R&B
Lovin' In the Moonlight-Delta Moon-Howlin-Blues
Higher Ground-Delta Moon-Blues
Thirteen Men-Ann Margaret
Baby its Cold Outside
Patry Cline
Give it Away-George Strait
All Chris Issak

Well I could go on and on. I have 1600 songs on the old Ipod. Will send some more later. Hope you can find something you like in this group. Branch out, it is the joy of life.

Anonymous said...

What a picture- I'm glad to hear that it doesn't last long or cause pain. Love the book and music recommendations - now if I just had time to read more!
Becky

Kathy said...

I for one agree with the review you have posted of Magic Mountain. I tried to read a few pages and found it very boring. But like you say not everyone feels the same.

I do love most of the music you pick and have greatly benefited from your great music collection. Lots of good memories of times spent listening to them.

Post a Comment

 

Blogger