Pages

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Purpose in All Things

I enjoyed a great night of sleep last night. It's been a week since my surgery and I am beginning to recover nicely. Yesterday, I actually cleaned my office and did a little work. A couple of significant events have occurred these last few days.

First, I watched the movie "Letters to God". This is a movie concerning a young boy who through writing and mailing letters to God has a profound effect upon his family and community. It is a wonderful movie and leaves me with the question how I can turn my cancer into something of value. I do believe that it is possible and that God can have a purpose in this.

Second, I had thought that my illness would derail my PhD plans. Not true. Dr. Kent Seamons emailed me that BYU still wants and would welcome me. Here is the contents of his email:

In terms of the program, my attitude is total flexibility. We should send out your acceptance letter in a few days. At any point you may decide you can't pursue this and you need to focus on family and health. I completely understand that and you should feel free to do that at any time. On the other hand, you may want to pursue your degree to have something else to focus on and to keep pursuing your dreams. I would also support that, and I can be quite flexible in when and how you make progress. You aren't taking a slot away from someone else, so don't worry about that. To the fullest extent that I can, I will support you in what you choose to do.


Kent is a very good man. Upon reflection I feel strongly that God does want me to pursue this degree for whatever his purposes might be. So, I am going to proceed as I had planned.

7 comments:

Lechelle said...

Glad the blog is back. I'll be following.

Kelly

Kathy said...

I am glad you get to still do your Phd program. That is going to be good for you. Who knows you just may finish too. I plan on you being around a good long time if I have any say in it.

Ginna said...

I'm so excited to hear that you can keep doing your program. It's so exciting to get into it in the first place and I think you're really going to enjoy it. I think you'll finish.
We're proud of you!!

Anonymous said...

Ken Im glad your blog is back. I always enjoy you're comments and opinions . we are all praying for your recovery Darrin & Julie

Anonymous said...

Good for you relative to the PhD. You are in our thoughts as we begin our fast. Ballards

Kari said...

I'm glad your continuing with your plans, I'd be sad to see you not do it, you've been looking forward to it so much. And I'm glad that your blogging again, it's nice to hear more of your thoughts on everything. Love you Dad

K said...

Good. I like to have a process focus as I go. This will give the time form in which you can move as you like. And it will keep you learning - something that is never a waste of effort.

Post a Comment

 

Blogger