Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Priesthood Blessings

October 4, 2010

Tonight, my son Kris gave me a priesthood blessing. I am so thankful for a worthy son. I cannot ask for more. I than gave my wife Kathy a blessing of peace as she undergoes these next few months. She is my eternal companion because our marriage has been sealed for eternity and while not perfect we have tried to live worthy of such a blessing. I feel assured that our sealing has been validated.

For those of you not familiar with LDS lingo, a priesthood blessing is a blessing given by one who holds the Priesthood. The priesthood is the power to act in God's name. In the Mormon faith, all worthy males over the age of twelve can hold the priesthood, not just a select clergy or chosen few.

Anyone seeking divine counsel can receive a priesthood blessing. The power of the blessing to heal, comfort, and inform is manifested through the faith of the receiver and the Priesthood holder. Priesthood blessings are given on a variety of occasions, including the blessing of babies, confirming members of the church, healing the sick, and ordaining men to the priesthood. Priesthood blessings can be given during times of illness or injury, or when a person is seeking comfort from the Lord. I used to give my children a blessing at the start of each school year or when an important event was to occur for which they were nervous.

When a personal blessing is given, the priesthood holder seeks promptings from the Holy Ghost to know the needs of the individual and inspiration as to what to say in the blessing. On certain occasions, oil consecrated for the healing of the sick is used in the blessing. Two elders are needed in the case of using consecrated oil. One seals the blessing with a drop of oil placed on the head of the seeker, and the other pronounces a blessing through the promptings of the Lord.

In order to give priesthood blessings, priesthood-holders must keep themselves worthy of this divine and sacred power. The purpose of a priesthood blessing is to provide healing, comfort, and counsel to the person seeking it.

It should be noted that though powerful and miraculous healings can occur when priesthood blessings are given, this is not always the case. Members of Church seek medical care when they are sick, and sometimes a priesthood blessing counsels the seeker to do just that. Sometimes a priesthood blessing is given to a person who is dying, and the promptings of the Holy Ghost are that the person should not be healed, but sent on his way with words of comfort. I have given two such blessings to those who shortly passed on.

In either event a priesthood blessing provides comfort and increased faith especially when given by those sharing a special relationship as in father to son.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I am deeply grateful to have such a worthy husband and son to offer these blessings at such a critical time in our lives. The spirit was so strong and I have felt the comfort the Lord promises us. Thanks Kris for being able to that for your Dad and for me. Also special thanks to a wonderful husband for giving me the sweetest blessing. I will cherish it forever. I love you.

Ginna said...

I'm so glad we got to have that evening together and the blessings were amazing. I couldn't feel more lucky to be a part of your family, I hope you know that.

K said...

Beautifully explained.

And beautifully done.

Post a Comment

 

Blogger